Monday, November 1, 2010

Farewell to Fall



"Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile."
William Cullen Bryant



It's time to say goodbye.


No more sitting on the front porch listening to the children play across the street.


No more watering plants.



No more chatting with your friends and watching the leaves fall.





No more long naps on the porch swing.


No more breakfasts on your table.

But oh, autumn you have been wonderful!
Not too hot.  Not too cold.
Not too short.  Not too wet.


I'm going to miss you porch.  Oh, I'll pass through and hurry in the front door to escape the cold north wind, the rain and the snow.  I'll know your there and I'll look longingly at the porch swing through my windows.  I won't get to spend much time with you.  But I won't have forgotten you and there will be a day in the not too distant future when you once again will be my favorite place to be.  I'll make new cushions for your chairs and bring the ferns back outside and we'll settle in for a long sweet summer.  So until then, goodbye.
I'll see you soon!

Tommye



No comments:

Post a Comment